Right now, there are 7 State Senators* who will decide whether or not safe patient limits move forward in PA.
We have made historic progress toward safe patient limits legislation, with 46% of the Senate signed onto our safe staffing bill (SB 450) as cosponsors. We are very close to getting the votes needed to pass the bill if it comes to a vote. But, in order to get a full vote in the Senate, the bill must first get out of the Senate Health Committee, where we currently have the support of only 4 out of 11 Senators.
We must make our voices heard with these key decision-makers now!
In order to make that happen, we are holding a targeted Safe Patient Limits Call-In Week.
From October 14-18, we hope to get 1,000 nurses who live and work in these target districts to call their Senator’s office for safe patient limits.
Now, chances are, you don’t live in one of those districts. So you may be asking, “What can I do to help?”
Here’s what you can do:
Sign up to join one of the 10 different phonebanks next week. We will be calling nurses in the target districts every day from 11AM – 1PM and 4PM – 6PM to talk about our fight, let them know their Senator needs to hear from them, and ask if we can transfer them to their Senator’s local office!
Here’s how it will work:
- Sign up for a time that works for you to join in the phonebank from home or wherever works for you!
- To join one of the phonebanks, you will need a phone, a computer or tablet, and a good wifi connection (headphones can help too).
- We’ll do a short video conference call at the beginning of your phonebank to demonstrate how to use our calling tool and answer any questions.
- Then you’ll start making calls using our tool!
- You’ll talk to dozens of nurses in a couple hours about our fight and connect them directly to their Senator’s local office to share why safe patient limits are so important to them.
Our calling tool is especially wonderful, because unlike usual phonebanking, you’ll only get connected with people who pick up the phone! It’s easy to learn and powerful to use.
Training and talking points will be provided.
*Those seven Senators are:
Sen. Judy Schwank (D-11)
Sen. Scott Martin (R-13)
Sen. Scott Hutchinson (R-21)
Sen. Bob Mensch (R-24)
Sen. Joe Scarnati (R-25)
Sen. Judy Ward (R-30)
Sen. Michele Brooks (R-50)